Friday, January 27, 2006

Travel Fitness

I arrived home on Thursday, Jan. 26 at 1:00 AM EST from a brief, but fun, trip to Park City, Utah. What a blast. I don't ski anymore but I sure do watch movies. This was the week of The Sundance Film Festival. My traveling companions and I had a great time.

I hear all the time how difficult it is to stick to a workout routine when on the road. This has never been a problem for me. Of course, I like the gym and working out. While on the road, I meet people and get to have fun even when at the gym. So I've wondered. What's the difference here? My conclusion is Intention and Attention. Before I leave I Intend to work out by:
  1. Doing a Google search on gyms in the area. In Park City I chose Silver Mountain Sport. There are others. This was in proximity to the condo in which I stayed.
  2. Packing workout clothes and gym shoes.
  3. Telling my traveling companions that I intended to go to the gym and inviting them to join me.

Then, I paid Attention to my scheduling and went to bed in plenty of time to allow me to wake up and attend the gym. One friend actually joined me one day. Pretty simple, eh? I think so.

You can get a great workout in anywhere. If you don't want to pay the fee (the one I went to was $15.03/day due to my gym's participation in a national organization), you can workout in a hotel fitness romm or in a condo or hotel room. Isometrics can be done anywhere. I like the social aspects of a gym, but that's just me.

Tip: I did less cardio than usual because we walked alot. Now go travel and stay fit as you do it. If you see me at the gym, say "hi." I'd love to meet you.

John Hudome, DCH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
Good blog. I go to the gym when traveling. I need help with eating in restaurants on the road. How do I just can't see any way to eat healthy in a restaurant. Can you adress this?

John Hudome said...

Sure Roger. It's a challenge for most people but I think it's simple. Order as if you were in complete control of what you eat. Use visual images of your desired body to asses if the image and your considered selection are congruent. If not, re-consider. If they are, enjoy your smart selection. I'll write more extensively about this in the future. Go to my web site and e-mail me. Leave me a number and I'll contact you.
John Hudome, DCH