Wednesday, April 26, 2006

5 Steps to Eating Right at Work

Whether it's just an excuse or a reality of life, many people find eating correctly at work to present difficulty. I am continually told by clients that they just can't maintain good nutrition at the work-place. Here is what I recommend for getting the nutritional results you're looking for.
  1. Plan on eating 3 or 4 meals a day at work.
  2. Shop once a week for your work-place foods. I do this on Sunday. Buy enough for 3 meals for 5 days (assuming you work 5 days). You may want to buy even more. Many nights when I arrive home I microwave a meal at home also. I just don't have the time to cook every night.
  3. Purchase inexpensive plastic containers at the supermarket (glad or similar) in which to place individual meals.
  4. Cook the food one day or evening. Once again, I do this on Sunday afternoon. It takes me about 60 to 90 minutes, including cleanup. It' common for me to cook 2-3 lbs. of salmon, cod, tilapea, or flounder; 6-8 pork chops, 6-8 chicken breasts; 6-8 yams and brocolli, asparagus and various squash. Between my oven, stove and patio grill, there's a lot cooking all at once.
  5. Pack the individual containers in the refridgerator and your food is ready for the week. And yes, my food keeps that long. I don't know if your's will, but mine does. I pack 3 or 4 meals every morning as I leave for the gym (I also take some fruit along). You may want to purchase an inexpensive portable cooler if you have fears about food storage, etc.

If you eat out due to meetings or other requirements, learn how to order correctly in restaurants. They will make your food the way you want it, just ask.

This system works for me and I've been doing it for years. I have plenty of food. I eat a variety of foods including, seafood, poultry, lean pork, yams, veggies, rice and more. This never seems to grow tired for me. I clean as I cook so the after prep dish and pan cleaning is minimal. I wash the empty containers immediately upon walking in the door of my home at night. I could probably do them at work, but I don't. If have any questions, comments or additions to these recommendations, leave a comment. I want to hear and I want to learn.

John Hudome, DCH

"Workout and eat (and live and play) as if your life depended on it."

No comments: