Saturday, April 22, 2006

Concerns About Supplements

We see advertisements for supplements continually. Television, print ads, radio and posters in gyms are promoting supplements as the way to a beautiful body. I'm concerned about the extent of this and the extent of the use I see around me.

From the outset, let me disclose the supplements that I use. I take an Omega 3, Zinc, Vitamin D, Glucosamin and occasionally Whey Protein Powder. I don't want anyone to come back later and say, "wait a minute I know he uses supplements." All of these are nutiritional supplements and the Glucosamin was recommended by two physicians. They are not performance enhancers. I concsider them as food supplements.

So what's my concern? I'm concerned that too many people, especially younger people, think that they can achieve what they want with a pill or powder instead of hard work. Achieving what you want in life takes effort and maybe a little luck, but that's for another day. We live in a "fast food" society. Where has that gotten us? Obese city, that's where. I see overwheight guys in my gym using Creatine and getting fatter by the week. People don't know what the heck they're doing. They see an ad with a fitness model in it and they presume that he got his body using that supplement. In most cases, he didn't.

At the end of the day, you are more than just your results. Get good advice from medical and fitness professionals as to what you need to take, if anything, to assist you in achieving your goals. Some supplements are great. Some can hurt you. Some are a waste of your money. Do your research. Become educated.

John Hudome, DCH
"Workout and eat as if your life depended on it."

No comments: